Meher Spiritual Center, Inc., was chartered as a nonprofit corporation under the laws of South Carolina in 1959, and designated tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code. The corporation was founded as a nonsectarian religious organization whose chartered purposes are to:
- maintain a spiritual retreat for rest, meditation, and renewal of the spiritual life
- maintain a library of primarily religious, philosophical and inspirational books, accessible to the public
- hold group meetings for reading of the Discourses of Meher Baba and other universal truths
- donate clothing and other necessities to the poor
(from the South Carolina Certificate of Incorporation for Meher Spiritual Center, Inc.)
Chartered Purposes of Meher Spiritual Center, Inc. September 30, 1959
The objects and purposes for which this corporation is formed are as follows:
1. To found within the United States of America a non-sectarian and non-profit religious organization, devoted and dedicated to the name and spiritual purposes of Meher Baba, and to the dissemination of his teachings, without supplanting professed religious convictions or beliefs, but for the enhancement and strengthening of the spiritual life.
2. To establish, operate and maintain a central headquarters near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina to be known as Meher Spiritual Center and such additional local centers in South Carolina and in other States of the United States, and to designate and appoint such officers, agents and other employees, as may be considered necessary or advisable to carry on the purposes and activities of this corporation.
3. To acquire by purchase, lease, devise, bequest, gift or otherwise, such property, real or personal, whether improved or unimproved, in the State of South Carolina, or in any State of the United States, and to improve, develop, sell, mortgage, lease or sublease such property, as may be necessary or advisable to carry on the purposes and activities of this corporation.
4. To exercise and enjoy all other rights and privileges necessary, appropriate or proper for the carrying out of the objects, purposes and activities of this corporation, which are not inconsistent with the corporation laws of this State.
5. To make gifts of real and personal property for religious, charitable, conservation, literary or educational purposes.
6. No part of the net earnings of the corporation shall inure to the benefit of any members, trustee, officer of the corporation, or any private individual (except that reasonable compensation may be paid for services rendered to or for the corporation), and no member, trustee, officer of the corporation, or any private individual shall be entitled to share in the distribution of any of the corporate assets on dissolution of the corporation.